Tuesday, November 19, 2013

A Big Thanks to Everyone!


When I was little, my first love was the written word.  

Throughout elementary school, I was an avid reader.  I was the girl who got in trouble for reading under her desk during class and wouldn't be separated from an interesting story, even when the recess bell rang.  Sneaking a flashlight into my room at night to read my book under my covers got my heart racing as I would hold my breath listening for any sound that would give away my parents walking in to tell me it was way past my bed time.  I remember waking up and picking up my book from the floor beside my bed, sliding it into my backpack next to my lunch box, and regretfully zipping it away until I got to school. This all came from my dad, who set a poor example for me from the start (reading his book while riding a bike!).  

It didn't take long for me to start writing my own stories.  I had several colorful spiral notebooks with the beginnings of stories dotted here and there in the pages.  I got a little older and I was up late in front of the blue glow of the monitor, my bleary eyes darting back and forth as my fingers stumbled across the keyboard, writing my newest story.  Sometimes it was for a school assignment, sometimes not.  I grew a little more and my fiction stories were replaced by book reports and essays.  I loved to formulate eloquent ways to make it sound like I knew exactly what I was talking about.  English class was always a breeze and I looked forward to any and every writing assignment.  I grew older still and suddenly, I had to work harder in my other classes and my friends took more of my time.  I didn't have time to write anything other than what was assigned, and my reading list grew smaller and smaller.  

Now I am in high school with suddenly a lot more time and a lot more to share.  I originally started this travel blog as a way to keep my family and friends included in my life abroad, without shooting messages back and forth across the time difference.  I didn't think much of it, perhaps a few eye rolls at my parent's persistence to see my next post.  However, my audience has expanded quite a lot since the start and I am thoroughly surprised.  I now have people from the United States, Sweden, Germany, Brazil, Japan, Denmark and more reading my blog.  People from my community here in Partille have told me how they are impressed with my writing and enjoy reading about my experiences.  Members from my church back home say something along the same lines through my parents.  I am just overwhelmed with how much support I feel.  It means the world to me to have these people reading what I write and experiencing my adventures with me.  

Recently, I got a couple calls from YFU Sweden mentioning that they and a few others in the office have been reading my blog and they appreciate what I share.  I have been asked for permission to use my blog on their official website with a short introduction about me.  Not long after that, the president and CEO of YFU USA shared an excerpt from my blog on his Facebook.  The attention my posts have been receiving is so humbling, and I cannot thank you all enough.  It's been a couple years since I felt my creative side waken up a bit and I feel excited to write again.  I owe that to everyone showing me their support.  

Thanks to my fantastic readers, I may just have the opportunity to teach a few people about a different culture.  I remember reading the blogs of a few exchange students before I came to Sweden, and I remember what an influence their experiences had on me.  If my blog is going to reach even one of those students out there considering to study abroad, I would be amazed.  From now on, my blog will be not only about me, but also for the behalf of anyone who is interested in either studying abroad, or to just learn about another country.  If anyone may know a person who would be interested in what I have to say, please refer them to my blog.  And if anyone has a friend who is interested in studying abroad, don't hesitate to contact me and I can answer any of their questions.

Thank you again so much for all the support and all of the compliments.  I appreciate it more than you can know and I couldn't have asked for a better situation. 

Much love, 

Misha

Five year old Misha just learning to read

4 comments:

  1. Superbly written as usual. Love your attention to detail. For the record. I was 12 and only read while riding my bike a few times! I don't recommend it to others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So the first time I met you Misha, was 10 years ago. You were sitting in front of me in Primary reading whatever Harry Potter book was the newest, which impressed me, as you were only 6 years old, at the time. One day I was trying to get you to sing, instead of read, and you turned around and looked at me and said, "You're weird. Reading is better than singing." And that was the end of that. But, you are a very good writer, so keep it up! (Sister Anderson in Los Alamos)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow I must say I don't remember that at all, but I can perfectly see that happening. Sorry for my rudeness :)

      Delete
  3. I've been reading your blog this whole time and I am now considering going to Sweden :) Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete