Friday, August 9, 2013

Intro

This, here, begins the travel blog for the next ten months of my life.  

My name is Misha and I will be spending my next school year abroad in Partille, Sweden through the Youth For Understanding (YFU) program.  Studying abroad has become something of a tradition in my family.  It started with my mom's high school year abroad in '83-'84 to Colorado from her home in Tokyo, Japan.  It was there, in Colorado, that she met my dad and, while they were not high school sweethearts, they did raise a sack of flour (Robert Jr.) together in their partners (relationships) class.  I guess you could say it was love! 

Next was my older brother, Micah, who went abroad for a semester in his senior year to Yokohama, Japan.  He stayed with the lovely Suzuki family who sent us their 16 year old son, Yuta, to stay with us for ten months.  While an actual exchange of students between two families is rare, it worked out perfectly for my family.  I got to spend a few months with two older brothers, for better or for worse.  

Since then, I knew I wanted to be an exchange student when I got into high school.  I spent the next three years assuming I would be going to Japan, just as my brother had.  At the beginning of my freshman year, I started looking into the application process for the next upcoming year.  The more I thought about it, I realized that Japan would not be adventurous enough.  As I researched my options, I fell in love with Sweden and I shortly thereafter turned in my application.

I was accepted in February while I was, coincidentally, visiting Japan.  Fast forward to the summer and I got my departure date; August 13.  During the next summer months I received my Swedish language starter packet from YFU, a ticket to Chicago for three days to attend a national pre-departure orientation and my host family.  It has been a whirlwind of nerves and excitement, but I'm glad to start the next chapter of my life soon.  

I would like to thank all of my family and friends for being so supportive and incredibly inquisitive!  I would love for you all to follow my progress over the next ten months through this travel blog, which I hope to keep diligently updated throughout my time in Sweden. 

Much love,
Misha


1 comment:

  1. Misha, you're a crack up! I was an exchange student too, back in my day. The girl I stayed with came to our family a year later on an exchange. It's a fun thing to do. Good luck with everything. I have always loved Sweden too. Save travels! (Sister Anderson in Los Alamos)

    ReplyDelete